Sunday, November 1, 2009

ars gratia artis

I have one week and one day to go until I'm finished with this Master of Visual Arts – my, it only seems like a couple of months (and a lifetime) ago since I started – these 3 years have passed by in a flash!

One part of me can't believe that I made it through – when I started the journey our boyo was in preschool (for one day per week) and girlie wasn't quite 3 – insane!!!!!! (at times my poor long suffering partner MUST have been tearing his hair out – living with an artist aint much fun...)


Next weekend I'll make the looooong (1400km) round trip to my Uni to deliver my work for marking the following day – I'll be presenting a selection of 'book' works – many of which I've posted here over the last little while (the two 'serpens volumen', 'verbatim' and the recently completed 'hora libri') or uploaded to my flickr account – as well as a folio full to the brim of large scale photographic works – pieces that I view as documentation of ephemeral sculpture/performative works... and with these I've only released a few images....so over the next wee while I'm going to share some more of these – and perhaps will tell a little bit more about the making and thinking behind each....


for now I'll leave you with another of my 'carved' book works that will be making the trip with me -



ars gratia artis (art for arts sake)


this was actually my high school art text that I ...um....failed to return, way back in the 1980s... shhhh don't tell the school or they might ask me for it now!


and although I describe these 'carved' - they are in fact very carefully cut with a scalpel - a few pages at a time... it's a long process...

and talking of process and books - I've recently changed over my 'currently reading' list.... whilst I still have library access at the uni I'll continue to dip into the catalogue and gorge myself on the booky goodness....

1 comment:

  1. congratulations Ronnie, a mammoth achievement.all the best on your trip. Jane A

    ReplyDelete

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx