Saturday, February 9, 2013

'carpe diem' --- a book


'Carpe Diem'

a small case bound book - unveiled page by page....











 




'Carpe Diem'
archival digital print
hand date stamped, colour pencil lettered title page
various papers - including what I believe is momigami paper for the covers
(I spied the paper languishing in the corner of an art supply shop -
the owner had 'forgotten' what the paper was!) 

140mm x 150mm (closed)

edition of 12


The title - 'Carpe Diem' came from a selection of 100 short stories titles 
penned by Sarah Bodman in 'An Exercise for Kurt Johannessen'

(this is one of three titles/editions I have put my hand up to undertake.... yes madness)


I mentioned to all the BAO peeps who received this handmade book as part of the BAO exchange - my book requires a smart device with a QR reader app installed in order to view the information - which is understandably frustrating for many people --- I suspect that even when we first-world inhabitants have access to and familiarity with current technology, its just a tad annoying to be forced to use a specific piece of technology... I wonder how many of my BAO recipients shrugged their shoulders and proclaimed it all 'a bit too hard'? (and mumbled curses including my name...). This book is dependent on a privileged (and what I suspect will be a rapidly defunct) technology  - which of course is central to the work. I, perversely perhaps, like imagining that sooner rather than later QR codes and current smart device technologies will be no more - and the website addresses that each code in my book links to will likewise bite the dust -- gone into the interwebs ether.... and yet what will remain is a quirky little tome that forever then hides its contents....

Yes, this idea has occupied me for some years - and this was just a small expression of my thoughts about the future of books...


indeedy I so enjoyed creating 'carpe diem' that I made a wee zine (an abridged version of sorts of the title) that I've already shared with many friends...





I will be posting this little zine to all the BAO edition 4 participants 
(in the fullness of time)



.....




5 comments:

  1. Carpe diem...as a twelve year old i thought that meant "a fish a day"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whenever I see/hear the words 'carpe diem' I get a mental image of robin williams in 'dead poets society'.....

      Delete
  2. The words 'carpe diem' always have that connection to Dead Poets Society for me too ronnie. I am one of the lucky recipients of this book and it is very thought provoking. I love that this physical book will probably still survive when the technology required to use it has long since disappeared. I've just been cleaning out cupboards and throwing out things like cassette tapes and VCR tapes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having more than the usual hassles tonight! I'm sure there is much to think about in this, but, as I'm technically dyslexic, all beyond me! Now, my connection is wavering again...I'm giving up. 2 hours to read a blog post is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until recently I had not even noticed the QR phenomenon...
    no smart phone here!
    so it was like seeing a coded secret world. No reason not to do something that compells you Roonie.
    The zine looks fab... thats a good combo...private coded book +small accessible zine.
    S

    ReplyDelete

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx