Wednesday, May 7, 2014

in the background...


more collage



lots of little square collages actually...


of mostly white and black and aged papers adhered to hard boards


and as pleasant as I find the activity
and as carefully as I choose the bits and pieces and arrange them just so
this is just the first step in a project
for these are the grounds (backgrounds) for a series...


an effective background is a neutral background
one that doesn't have a lot of tonal contrast competing for attention

so it's time to add a thin layer of white gesso over the mottled collages


preparing them to become receptive backgrounds


but arctic white is not really my scene

so I brewed up a strong mug of tea


and gave them all a nice drink...



and NOW I'm ready to begin....


...


4 comments:

thanks for all your lovely comments - your words are greatly appreciated xx